Psychotherapy is an integral part of treatment for co-occurring disorders. Along with individual therapy, most addiction and mental health treatment centers rely on group therapy to help clients with tasks such as identifying their strengths, improving communication and social skills, and overcoming challenges. Research on group therapy shows that it has proven effective in a wide array of environments for various conditions. While there are multiple types of group therapy, the common thread is that group members share similar challenges, experiences, and needs. And for group therapy in New Jersey, reach out to Next Wind Recovery.
Next Wind Recovery offers mental health group therapy in New Jersey. We understand that many people are initially reluctant to participate in group therapy. We also know from experience that, for most, this fear quickly fades, and group therapy becomes a favored part of treatment. If you want to know more about group therapy, reach out to us at 201.331.6569.
Mental Health Group Therapy Activities for Adults
Addiction and mental health disorders often cause people to feel or become isolated. A recurrent fear that our team at Next Wind Recovery hears from clients is that nobody understands them. The most critical benefit of group therapy comes into play when you discover that you are not alone and that others have been down the same road as you. Though details of experiences may differ, knowing that your struggle is the same as another person’s struggle provides an almost instant sense of relief. Especially in addiction and mental health treatment, the words ‘me, too’ can instill hope.
Mental health group therapy general falls into two categories:
- Psychoeducational – These groups are usually structured with specific topics covered each session to provide group members with education and information.
- Process-oriented – Focused more on experiences, sharing, and making connections, these groups are discussion-based.
What to Expect in Group Therapy
The possibilities for group activities that promote camaraderie, growth, and healing are practically endless. Following are descriptions of some that are frequently used:
- Two truths and a lie – An icebreaker where group members write down two true things about themselves and one lie. These are read aloud to the group who tries to guess which is which.
- People search – Therapists give group members a list of traits, talents, and experiences. Members need to find a match in the group. When a match is found, the person signs their name. The first to get all signatures wins.
- Negative and positive beliefs – Members write a negative thought about themselves and then write positive comments to replace the negative thinking.
- Healthy brainstorming – Each member suggests a healthy goal surrounding diet, sleep, or exercise, and then everyone chooses one they want to try and creates a plan to implement it for the week.
Overall, group activities should be fun and engaging but goal-oriented. Many activities focus on building trust, improving communication and interpersonal skills, building self-confidence, and increasing self-awareness.
Where Can I Find Mental Health Therapy near Me?
For most, the decision to seek professional mental health or addiction treatment is not made lightly. In seeking help, it is critical to carefully consider the types of treatment available to ensure that your needs will be met. Just as every person who enters treatment is unique, not every treatment center is alike, and specific treatment centers may be better than others for your situation and needs.
If you are seeking mental health therapy in New Jersey, consider Next Wind Recovery. We offer an array of comprehensive services, including:
- Outpatient detox
- Partial hospitalization program (PHP)
- Intensive outpatient program (IOP)
- Medication-assisted treatment
- Treatment for co-occurring disorders
- Outpatient addiction treatment
- Aftercare services
Our compassionate, multidisciplinary treatment team provides high-quality evidence-based and holistic therapies in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment.
Call Next Wind Recovery for Mental Health Group Therapy
Group therapy is a valuable part of comprehensive addiction and mental health treatment. At Next Wind Recovery, our team spends time getting to know you and understanding your treatment and recovery goals, enabling us to create an individualized treatment plan. To see if our group therapy program in New Jersey is right for you, reach out to Next Wind Recovery at 201.331.6569.